Volunteer Coaches and Scout Leaders are considered volunteers of a parish or school and are required to abide by the safe environment policies of the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee.
All Coaches and Scout Leaders and all those who have contact with minors, included in any program, service or ministry conducted, hosted or sponsored by a Catholic institution within the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee whether of the Catholic Faith or not are asked to do the following:
- Complete a Level II background check called a VECHS (Volunteer Employee Criminal History System) with the FDLE/FBI by contacting your parish or school.
a. must be processed through this Diocese
b. may not use any other background check from any other source
c. must be re-checked every five years
d. payment for background check is up to the individual parish or school
contact them to see if they require payment from you first.
e. individuals may not begin to practice or attend meetings as a
leader unsupervised until background check is approved and
safe environment courses have been completed
2. Complete the two required safe environment courses with Shield the Vulnerable
3. Follow the Diocesan Code of Conduct for Church Personnel and Volunteers
For a list of Disqualifying Offenses that might prevent an individual from employment and/or volunteering with children and/or vulnerable adults see attached.
(List of Disqualifying Offenses)
These fundamental principles are only a part of what you can expect from our Code of Conduct for Church Personnel and Volunteers:
- Strive to exhibit the highest Christian moral standards and personal integrity in their work and personal lives; supporting the teachings and traditions of the Catholic Church.
- Strive to conduct themselves in a respectful manner toward all people.
- Protect the confidentiality of all sensitive information to which they have access.
- Not take unfair advantage of relationships made through church involvement.
- Not physically, sexually or emotionally abuse or exploit anyone.
- Not neglect a minor who is in their care.
Know the Rules for Child Safety in
Boy Scouts of America
American Heritage Girls